Creating a Data Story as a Website
For those of you who want to create a data story as a website, we have good news: You don’t need to host the website yourself, but you can host it directly via GitHub pages. We have compiled a short tutorial on how to do this below. There is an easy way for simpler websites, and a more difficult way for more complex websites.
- Go to our template website repository and fork (copy) it to your own GitHub account by clicking the “Fork” button on the top right.
- Go to “Settings” –> “Pages” in your forked repository. Under “Branch” change “None” to “master” and click “Save”.
- Edit the
_config.ymlfile in your forked repository to change the site title (after
title:) and description (after
- Build your own page by editing the
README.md(home page) and creating new
.mdfiles (other pages) in your forked repository, formatting is done with standard GitHub Markdown syntax, we provide an example file
example.mdin the repository.
Important: Please include
--- layout: default —(the first three lines in
example.md) at the beginning of your every newly created
- Add your new
.mdfiles to the site by editing the
_config.ymlfile in your forked repository. Under
navigation:add a new pair of
url:, and fill their value with your page name and
.mdfile name. Remember to remove the
url:pair for the example page.
- Go back to “Settings” –> “Pages” to find your website link.
- If you want to have more freedom, you can create your own website from scratch using, e.g., Jekyll. As the GitHub themes, Jekyll allows you to easily create websites using Markdown, but gives you more freedom in the design. For example, there is a much larger number of freely available themes than those that GitHub offers.
- Once you have created your site, commit it to your repository. Make sure that there is a file “index.html”, which will be the page that is accessible under
- Go to “Settings”, scroll down to “Pages”, and under “Source” select the branch to which you committed your website files. After clicking “Save”, you should be able to access the website at